Oil Drilling in ANWAR
Carlson and Elaine Durr (March 2003)
SH1- Dependency on Foreign Oil
Why is this harmful?
-According to basic economic principles, it is better to buy products from countries that can produce them better and cheaper, so that we can concentrate our resources on products that we can produce better and cheaper.
SH2-Increased Cost in Oil
Not a significant increase
-According to the Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Simmons and Company International, a specialized energy investment bank, $35 oil in 2003 dollars when adjusted for inflation would be about $15.25 in 1974 dollars. Yes the price has increased but prices of almost all products have increased due to inflation.
-According to Lovins and Lovins who are consultants to major oil companies and advisors to the Department of Defense on Energy Security California does not have a shortage of oil, in fact, only 1% of its electricity comes from oil
of Jobs in the
Data is outdated
-According to a
-In addition, Labor
Department officials say the rate of 8.7% is normal for
-This point is not on
topic and is not directly linked to oil production or lack there of. The fact
that we have a
-Also according to Clusen of the NRDC, oil and gas product production on federal lands generates $835 million dollars for the federal treasury, which is also not significant when considering a 6.4 trillion dollar debt.
GE5-Balance of Trade
How is this a failure?
There has never been a stated goal of a balanced trade system.
-Trade balance is based on
cost benefits analysis. The
Structural Inherency- Lack of oil available in the
-There is not a lack of
oil in the
-The affirmative team claims that oil drilling in ANWR is necessary to solve their stated problems with the status quo. We will now offer a minor repair to the status quo that addresses their problems and provides additional benefits. This minor repair is to increase energy efficiency.
-The NRDC estimates that increasing vehicle fuel economy standards to 40mpg over the next decade could save more than 50 billion barrels of oil over the next 50 years, which is 10 times more oil than the refuge could yield and could save consumers money.
-Increased energy efficiency no only produces benefits but has been proven to work.
-Fuel economy for new passenger cars nearly doubled in 1975(when standards were 1st adopted) and their peak in 1988 and Fuel economy for new light trucks increased by 50%. The rules haven’t changed since 1985; therefore, it is probable that if they were increased now that they would successfully produce similar benefits.
W1- The drilling area only addresses “surface acreage covered by production and support facilities.” It does not cover seismic or other exploration activities that would have significant biological impacts on the sensitive artic tundra and wildlife that rely on the security of those areas to survive.
SH1-The affirmatives figure of 16 billion barrels does not include the cost of discovery, development, and production.
-If you include these costs and consider economically recoverable oil, According to a 1998 USGS study, assuming a price of $24 dollars per barrel, there is a 95% chance of finding 1.9 billion barrels, a 5% chance of finding 9.4 billion barrels, and a 50% chance of finding 5.3 billion barrels.
-So there is a 50% chance
of finding less than a years worth of oil considering the
Increased oil supply in the
-The amount of economically recoverable oil in the refuge would increase world reserves by only .3%, which is not enough to cut our oil imports or influence world prices.
-According to the Congressional Research Service, any global market change that may occur due to the refuge oil would be either “exceedingly small or uncertain.”
GG3- Congressional Research Service an unbiased source on the subject of oil drilling in October in 2002 predicted that oil drilling in the refuge would generate 60,000 to 130,000 jobs not the 450,000 to 735,000 jobs that the affirmative team stated.
-Also according to the NRDC the majority of jobs created by oil drilling would be short-term and only last for five years.
-Since the number of jobs is not as great as the affirmative team stated and those that would occur would be temporary- it would not greatly help Alaska’s unemployment rate, which as stated by my partner is only a season rate which decreases after the winter months of January and February.
GF4- The increase in federal revenue state to occur by the affirmative team is not guaranteed to stay within the federal treasury. According to Clusen of the NRDC in his testimony in front of the Senate Committee on energy and natural resources, the portion of revenue currently generated from oil and gas production on federal lands is mostly returned to the states. The federal government has to reimburse the stats for the cost of managing the oil and gas development. Therefore the increase in federal treasury would not be as great as stated by the affirmative team.
-The affirmative teams’ statement of increased state revenue from an increase in population from oil workers is completely invalid. As stated previously the increase in jobs will not be as great as the affirmative team stated and the jobs that do occur will be temporary, therefore any increase in the states revenue will be temporary as well.
- The fact that the state
revenue utilizing petroleum rose after drilling in
GF5- AS stated earlier, there is a 50% chance of finding less than a years worth of oil in ANWR, therefore imports would not be decreased significantly.
reported by the US Fish and Wildlife Service, the caribou population did
increase after oil field development began in the
D2- According to the NRDC, oil development- no matter how carefully it is done- would harm large portions of the refuge. The exploration and production would not be confined to a limited area and would range across as many as 35 separate fields, which would affect wildlife habitats on hundreds of thousands of acres inter-spread between sprawling oil fields and pipelines. IN addition habitats would also be disrupted by industrial activity associated with airports, permanent production, and gravel roads to connect the facilities.
of the permanent jobs in
D4- Oil drilling has cause extensive damage to the ecosystem in the past.