CATA 335 Practice Exercises 12 McGaan
The following arguments contain claims and grounds. You must infer and write out the warrant and label it by type (i.e. analogy, cause, definition, etc.). Then create / indicate an appropriate qualifier, reservation, and backing for this argument.
1. [gr.] Professor McGaan says that [cl.] trying to eliminate conflict in an organization only makes things worse.
w. McGaan knows organizational communication - authority
b. He has a Ph.D. in organizational communication
r. unless the organization is in a major crisis situation
2. [gr.]A study of over 30 work groups in business settings showed that [cl.] failure to clearly define the problem and set a goal realistic is the most common error made in problem-solving.
w. these groups are representative of work groups generally - generalization
b. demographics of the 30 groups match demographics of the workplace
q. almost certainly
r. except when dealing with problems that have pre-defined definitions
3. [gr.] When the United States attacked the Taliban in Afghanistan, the war ended in a matter of a few weeks. [cl.] That is what will likely happen when we attack Iran.
w. Iraq and Iran are similar militarily in all important ways - comparison
b. they are both Islamic, desert nations .....etc.
r. unless Iran has more loyal soldiers
4. [gr.] Frogs in the pond near my house have recently been growing extra legs or showing other deformities. [cl.] The pond may be polluted.
w. amphibian deformities are one of the first signs of toxic pollution. - sign
b. according to prominent ecologists
q. may be
r. unless genetic damage from higher UV radiation is causing the deformities.
5. [gr.] Since the economy often grows rapidly due to the need for new construction following a natural disaster, I'm guessing that [cl.] we'll see an upturn in economic activity later this year following Katrina.
w. the construction industry drives economic growth - cause
b. according to top economists
r. unless large numbers of people and businesses do not return to Louisiana and Mississippi and rebuild.
6. [gr.] Bush's prescription drug plan will eliminate one of the most serious problems facing the elderly and it costs less than other proposals. [cl.] I think it should become law.
w. If a plan solves problems least expensively, it should be adopted. - policy
b. according to most argumentation texts and Professor McGaan
r. unless it makes other health care problems worse.
last updated 9/27/2005