CATA 335 - McGaan
Label or create the
grounds, claim and warrant for each of the following arguments. You may have to
infer some parts of the argument. (Make your choice of warrant as general as
you can for the example given.) Try to identify the type of warrant you
Try to identify the type of warrant you have listed.
1. [cl.] The Bears will not be a championship contender unless they get a better quarterback.
[gr.] The Bears have weak, inconsistent quarterbacks on their roster.
[w.] Good QBs are
necessary to win championships .
2. [cl.] Trudi is the murderer. After all, [gr.] her fingerprints were on the weapon and we know she had an argument with the victim just yesterday.
[w.] These items of evidence are sufficient to support a murder conviction according to Illinois Criminal law.
3. [cl.] July is a bad month for trout fishing because [gr.] the trout feed on the fry (babies) of other fish that month.
[w.] Fishing conditions are poor if the fish aren't hungry
4. __________ (insert your name) is a good student. [cl.]
[gr.] _________ works hard
[w.] A good student is one who works hard.
5. People who are known to have committed a crime should not be allowed to represent the USA in the Olympics. (use this as a warrant.)
[gr.] Jack committed a crime
[cl.] Jack should not be allowed on the US Olympic Team
6. [cl.] The Superbowl is the most important advertising forum of the year.
[gr.] Commercials running during the Superbowl cost more than on another program all year.
[w.] The importance of something can be accurately measured by its price.
Last updated 2/1/2007