1..What functions do campaigns perform in a democracy
2. In what
ways are current campaigns successfully performing those functions?
3. In what ways
are current campaigns failing?
Stages of Political Candidate Campaigns
- build org. in each region/district
- lots of speeches to get attention/ name rec.
- prelim polls
- raise money
- test fitness of candidate
- ritual announcement speech
- develop identity - goals, programs, etc.
- develop identity - personal/admin style
- determines dominate theme of camp. rhetorical agenda
- front runners appear in
- media & candidate get to know each other
- often personal as well as media
- get "bounce" to nomination
- avoid party split
- source of feedback on issues to candidate
- voters see how candidates perform
- builds citizen involvement
- local voters elicit promises from candidate
- voters determine REAL from runners
Conventions - mostly ritualistic (for TV)
- main messages in prime time
- special films, etc.
- conventions legitimate candidates
(not select them)
- reaffirms the "American Way"
- opens with theme (keynote)
- assembles character types
- anoints nominee
- legitimates nominee (opponents endorse)
- develops party unity
- sets rhetorical agenda for camp.
- voters get info
- election creates legitimacy
- fulfills ritual expectations (Can
you list some?)
- address key issues
- enact our values
Style versus Challenger Style
See Comparision of Stages -- Persuasive Campaigns versus Candidate Campaigns