CLAS210 Ancient Literature: Love Poetry
1st Semester 1999-2000, Department of Classics, Monmouth College
SAMPLE FIRST UNIT EXAM
Part I 40%
Directions: Identify TEN (10) of the following as succinctly as possible. Be sure to relate each item to poetry read in this course.
SHIP OF STATE
For a complete list of possible terms, see Lyric Poetry: Important Terms.
Part II Short Essays 60%
Directions: Answer FOUR (4) of the following questions as thoroughly as possible.
1. Discuss two biographical details concerning Sappho which can be derived from her poetry. Which poems provide this evidence? Discuss the reliability of this evidence.
2. Discuss Archilochos' use of proverbs and Aesop's fables. Give at least TWO (2) examples and discuss these examples in their poetic contexts.
3. Discuss a love poem which uses a myth as its central feature. Briefly summarize the myth and show how the poet uses the myth in the poem.
4. Using Alkaios' poetry for examples, discuss several characteristics of Greek convivial or sympotic poetry.
5. Compare Anakreon's "Prayer to Dionysus" with Sappho's "Prayer to Aphrodite".
For a complete list of possible short essay questions, see Lyric Poetry: Some Study Questions.
This material has been published on the web by Prof. Tom Sienkewicz for his students at Monmouth College. If you have any questions, you can contact him at email@example.com.
Return to Monmouth College Department of Classics Homepage