CLAS/HIST240 Ancient Societies: Africa in the Ancient World
Fall Semester, 1997-1998
Monmouth College, Monmouth, Illinois
Instructor: Thomas J. Sienkewicz (email@example.com)
Some Study Questions
1. What is the setting for this poem?
2. What are the main events described in the poem?
3. How does Vergil emphasize the poverty of Symilus’ home?
4. Describe Symilus’ garden? Why does Vergil offer so much detail about this garden? What do we learn about Symilus from this description?
5. What is Symilus’ recipe for moretum? How is it made?
6. How does Vergil describe Scybale physically?
7. What is the relationship between Scybale and Symilus?
8. What do you think is the point of this poem?
Back to the CLAS240 Website
Back to the Monmouth College Classics Dept. Website