Ramage, Chapter 5
1. What sorts of events were the context for Roman spectacles?
2. What does the Latin phrase panem and circenses mean? To whom is this phrase attributed? What does it mean?
3. Describe an amphitheatre and the kinds of events which took place there.
4. Why is the structure of the Flavian Amphitheatre (aka Colosseum) ingenious.
5. Identify each of the following terms: missum, jugula, murmillo, retiarius, venatores.
6. Who are ‘Amazon’ and ‘Achilia’? Where are they found and why are they important?
7. Who is Androcles? Summarize his story? Who first told this tale? What does it illustrate about Roman spectacle?
8. Describe a circus and the kinds of events which took place there.
9. What ancient Roman structure was the design of the Piazza Navonna in Rome based upon. Explain the origin of the word “Navonna.”
10. Identify each of the following terms: meta, spina, quadriga, jubilator.
11. Identify each of the following terms: caldarium, frigidarium, tepidarium, natatio, hypocaust.
12. What types of performances were popular in Roman theatre?