THE ICC WILLIAM M. CALDER III AND
FOR EXCELLENCE IN LATIN AND GREEK
The Illinois Classical Conference annually sollicits applications for the William M. Calder III and ICC Awards for high school seniors. A panel of three judges will determine the outstanding high school male and female recipients according to the criteria listed below. These annual awards of $300 each will be announced every year on or by April 30th. Click here for a list of some previous winners.
ANY HIGH SCHOOL SENIOR MAY APPLY WHO:
· is or has been enrolled in the highest level of Latin or Greek taught in his or her school
· has an overall GPA of 3.4 on a 4.0 scale
· has a 3.5 average in all Latin and/ or Greek classes on a 4.0 scale
· whose Latin and/ or Greek teacher is currently-paid ICC member
Application and supporting materials must be postmarked by April 1st. Late and/or incomplete entries will be disqualified.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION BY THE PANEL OF JUDGES:
· The applicant’s overall and Latin and/or Greek G
· The applicant’s participation and leadership in activities related to the Classics (such as Illinois Latin Tournament, Societas Honoris Classica, Classics Day in Chicago, the Loyola Chicagoland Certamen, ICC Art Institute Day, the Illinois Junior Classical League, National Junior Classical League, Illinois Certamen League, National Latin/ Greek Exams, Bernice Fox Writing Contest, the CAMWS Translation Test, high school Latin club, or travel to Italy or Greece
· A recommendation from the high school Latin and/or Greek teacher
· The quality of the applicants responses on the application
A COMPLETE APPLICATION INCLUDES:
1.) The cover page completed (available in pdf format here);
2.) A page which describes the applicant’s participation and leadership in Classics-related activities;
3.) A letter of recommendation from your teacher (in a sealed envelope or sent separately by the postmark date);
4.) A copy of the applicant’s high school transcript.
SUBMISSION OF THE APPLICATION:
Send all materials to: Dr. Thomas J. Sienkewicz, Capron Professor of Classics, Monmouth College, 700 E. Broadway, Monmouth, IL 61462; Office Telephone: 309-457-2371; FAX 815-346-2565; firstname.lastname@example.org.