The following definitions were generated in group discussions by the class at the beginning of the Fall Semester, 2007:
1. Any environment or setting that evokes a sense of heightened spirituality.
2. An individualís idea of a place where they can reflect on life. Sometimes it is religious but not always.
3. A space that is so profound that it can give people a sense of detachment from normal reality.
4. A place that is special to someone, whether it be a large, well known place or a small, individual area.
5. A sacred place is physical location where people can get in touch with their thoughts and emotions. An individual or group value this place because itís special to them.
6. A place with religious connections respected because it represents something greater than the individual all the while encouraging self reflection.