MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
March 28-30, 2008
at the invitation of
Epsilon Omicron Chapter
at the University of Massachusetts Amherst
The convention will begin with a reception on Friday evening, March 28, 2008, and end with the final business session at 12 o’clock on Sunday, March 30, 2008. There will be talks by students, reports on chapter activities, scholarly lectures, a certamen, a banquet with ancient dress optional and plenty of time for socializing.
Call for Papers and Presentations
Undergraduate members of Eta Sigma Phi are invited to submit papers for consideration for presentation at the convention, on Saturday, March 29, 2008. An artistic (musical, dramatic, etc.) performance may be proposed in lieu of a paper. The submissions will be judged anonymously, and the three members whose proposals are selected will have their registration fees remitted. In addition, the student whose presentation is judged the best will receive a cash award of $50, and the other two presenters will receive awards of $20 each. Students should be certain that they will be able to attend the convention before submitting papers.
1. The presentation should deal with some aspect of classical civilization or language and be directed to an undergraduate audience. (A paper written for a class is acceptable.)
2. Members proposing an artistic performance should submit a videotape or CD along with a detailed written description of the performance, its goals, and its relevance to classical civilization.
3. The paper should be typed, double-spaced, and no longer than 15 minutes in length, or 20 minutes if there are illustrations. Electronic submissions are encouraged.
4. If a presenter plans to use Powerpoint, the Powerpoint must be submitted with the script intended for the presentation included in the "Notes" section of the Powerpoint.
5. The name of the author should not appear on the paper.
6. Each submission must include a cover sheet with the author’s name, address, phone number, e-mail address, chapter, and institution.
7. All submissions must be sent to Dr. Anne Groton, Chair of the Program Committee, Department of Classics, St. Olaf College, 1520 St. Olaf Ave., Northfield, MN 55057-1098; email@example.com and be received by February 1, 2008. For artistic performances only the detailed written description must be sent electronically.
non-refundable convention registration fee must be paid by the
submission deadline. For information about the registration process,
Registration Options and
For more information, contact:
Thomas J. Sienkewicz, Executive Secretary
Eta Sigma Phi
Department of Classics
700 East Broadway
Monmouth, IL 61462