for Classics Majors
student who completes a Classics Major will be able to:
1. Think critically about the Classical World, including know what
questions to ask and how to answer them.
2. Know the basic structure of one (or more) of the Classical
3. Know the broad overview of Greek and Roman history,
(the difference between the Republic and
Imperial periods, for example), the values
prevailing within each culture and period, and the factors that led
to changes in the political, social, and
4. Be familiar with Classical literature, including the major
authors, genres, groupings, and relationship of literature to
history and culture.
5. Understand the role of Classics in the modern world.
This webpage was prepared
Thomas J. Sienkewicz of Monmouth
College. If you have any questions, you can contact him at
Department of Classics Homepage