Kappa Kappa Gamma was founded on October 13, 1870 at Monmouth College in Monmouth, Illinois. On that day 6 women marched in the Chapel wearing keys in the hair with the letters KKG pronouncing themselves as a new women's fraternity. Since Monmouth College is the first chapter, the chapter name is Alpha.
Since Kappa Kappa Gamma was founded it has grown to 134 collegiate chapters and nearly 300 alumnae associations.
More than 200 women have been initiated since our founding. The six women that founded Kappa were pioneers.
Kappa is a women's fraternity, the word sorority was not coined until after our founding.
Anna Elizabeth Willits
Susan Burley Walker
Hanna Jeanette "Jennie" Boyd
Mary Louise "Lou" Bennett
Martha Louisa "Lou" Stevenson
FIRST of women's fraternities to to turn from Grand Chapter Form of Organization to Grand Council Organization (1881)
The Golden Key was selected by the founders as the badge of Kappa Kappa Gamma. The badge is worn strictly as an emblem of membership, and may be work only by initiated members.
The fleur-de-lis or the iris was selected as the fraternity flower in 1890 because of its general dignity, stateliness, and grace. It also combines the two colors of the fraternity into one flower.
The colors of the Fraternity are light blue and dark blue, which have been described as those shades which in light and dark tones reproduce the “soft velvety blue approaching the cornflower in shade,” which is also a description of the sapphire, the Fraternity jewel. The sapphire is recognized as a symbol of truth, sincerity and constancy.
The owl the bird of wisdom, as well as the bird of Minerva, who is the Goddess of wisdom. The owl was first used for Kappa in 1881.
The Fraternity Coat of Arms combines the well known symbols of Kappa Kappa Gamma-the key, the Greek-letters, the new member pin, the fleur-de-lis, the owl and the two blues. It also displays the head of Minerva, the Goddess of Wisdom.