COMM 335 - ARGUMENTATION
1. Factual evidence
A. Reports (examples and descriptions)
5. consistency with audience exper.ience & other known facts
6. quality of source characteristics including: is the source:
B. Statistics (quantitative data groupings and summaries)
1. are the statistics recent?
2. are terms clearly defined?
3. is sampling correct?
4. Are measures of reliability, validity, & error included.
5. is something omitted (e.g. control groups, ) (e.g. baseline Athe rate tripled@ [from 2 in a trillion to 6 ... ]
2. Opinion - interpretation of facts, judgments -- expert and lay
connection s in the case (inherency and benefits)
s in the case (inherency and benefits)
c. propose workable solutions (solvency) (benefits)
1. is the source qualified?
3. respected by others in field?
4. is opinion internally consistent?
5. has the source used data - externally consistent with facts?
3. Analogy - things compared to make an inference from one to the other
Last updated 10/14/2008