last updated 10/28/2009
Contrasting viewpoints on
power: (common view vs more accurate)
- " Power to dominate vs
Power to get things done."
- " Power over vs
(in all power relations)"
- Misconceptions of the "power over" view
- Abuse comes from imbalance not power itself; powerlessness is a problem too
- Power is necessary for accomplishment of good purposes
- There is an overemphasis of surface structure of power
- What is power?
- It is in the "eye of the beholder"
Power is always relational.
much control is exerted through cultural norms, etc. (the deep structure of power
not through overt use.)
- Power comes from
- others depending on you for scarce significant resources or on
- interpersonal relations and position